Saturday 26 July 2014

My favourite pruning/cutting tools.

I've tried a few different types of pruning saws and pruners and these are two items that I absolutely LOVE.  (no, I'm not getting any kickback from these companies - this is honest-to-goodness feedback).  :)


1.  Silky's Zubat Pruning Saw:  Cuts like a dream!  No struggle, cuts on the return. My shoulder and arm don't scream at me.  Cuts are smooth, not jagged or torn, which is really important for plant health!  Smooth, smooth, smooth! 


2.  Felco 7 Hand Pruner:  Speaking with my colleagues, this particular pruner might be an acquired tasted.  Where most are weirded out by it, I personally love the swivel handle.  On those days where I'm pruning almost 8hrs straight I feel almost no fatigue.  The trick with these is to make sure to give the handle a shot of lube now and then to keep that swivel action going.



3.  And last, but not least, you  need to keep your pruners nice and sharp.  I really love this iSTOR Sharpener!  Easy to use, hard to mess up the angle.  At work I had a hole drilled into the handle and I keep it on my truck's key chain so it's always with me.  At home I keep one in the utensil drawer because it makes for a FANTASTIC knife sharpener!!

No comments: